Saturday, December 8, 2012

Holiday Picks: How Do Dinosaurs Say Happy Chanukah?

With snow in the forecast, temperatures dropping, and people digging out their mittens and hats, it's officially December!  Enjoy a holiday pick each day before Christmas.

Written by Jane Yolen.  Illustrated by Mark Teague.  New York: The Blue Sky Press, 2012.

Tonight marks the first night of Chanukah.  I'm looking forward to eating latkes.  Fried potato pancakes.  Need I say more?  I'm not Jewish, but I do have Irish heritage, and have never met a potato I didn't love.  But, I digress.  Here's a fun picture book to share with your kids.  As I mentioned in a previous post, Jane Yolen and Mark Teague published two holiday books this year in their highly popular dinosaur series.  This one is about Chanukah.

Does a dinosaur misbehave on Chanukah nights when the holiday lights are being lit?  Does he fidget through the prayer?  Sneak a peek at presents hidden under the bed?  Gather up all the gelt, and squeeze the chocolate coins until they melt?  No, dinosaurs don't.  He takes turn playing with the dreidel, eats all his latkes, and helps clean up, like a good dinosaur.  Kids will love looking at all the pictures of the different types of dinosaurs and giggling at their naughty behaviors.  Hopefully, they won't act those out!  Happy Chanukah to all my Jewish friends!  How will you celebrate this year?

No comments: