Thursday, December 20, 2012

Holiday Picks: Funny Books for Grownups

With snow in the forecast, temperatures dropping, and people digging out their mittens and hats, it's officially December!  Enjoy a holiday pick each day before Christmas.

I don't usually suggest adult books on this blog, but I'm making an exception this time.  I came across some Christmas books we have in our humor collection at the library, and I thought they would be fun to share with you.  You could use a laugh, right?

Rock Your Ugly Christmas Sweater
by Anne Marie Blackman and Brian Clark Howard
Philadelphia: Running Press, 2012

This hilarious book pays homage to the Christmas sweater.  Colorful, sometimes tacky and gaudy, you know you've seen some special ones.  Nowadays, many offices hold Ugly Christmas Sweater contests as part of their holiday celebrations.  This book is full of photographs complete with captions that will make you spit eggnog out of your mouth if you try to read this book while drinking.  I'm just saying, it could happen.  Funny stuff, this book.

Scared of Santa: Scenes of Terror in Toyland
by Denise Joyce and Nancy Watkins
New York: William Morrow, 2012

Up there with clowns on the terror factor for kids is...Santa!  Who knew?  This book is full of pictures of children in their full-blown "get me off the lap of this scary man" tantrum, while their parents click away with their cameras, capturing the "joy" for years to come.  The pictures say it all, but the captions make them funnier.  I love the variety of pictures through different generations.  The poor kids.  I shouldn't laugh, but I can't help myself.

Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets "Festive"
by Jen Yates
Kansas City: Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2011

If you haven't heard about Cake Wrecks, you don't know what you are missing.  A popular website devoted to professional cakes that have gone wrong, wrong, wrong, it is funniness on a cake.  This book is a compilation of some of the author's favorite holiday cakes, starting with Thanksgiving and going through New Year's Day.  I love her captions.  They are spot-on, and I dare you to try not laughing when looking at some of these cake monstrosities.

What are some of your funniest holiday memories?

No comments: