Saturday, February 20, 2010

Eleven


By Lauren Myracle

I had the pleasure of hearing Lauren Myracle speak at last year's New York Library Association Annual Conference. She is a great speaker and so in tune with kids. Shamefully, I had never read any of her books. I finally did, and wow! - she definitely knows kids and tweens!

This is the first book in a trilogy. It is a year in the life of Winnie, who has just turned eleven. Turning eleven is really cool, but Winnie notices that her other friends are changing, while she seems to be staying the same. Her best friend, Amanda, seems embarrassed to play the games they used to, and would rather hang out with stuck-up Gail Grayson and talk about boys and make-up. As she and Amanda grow apart, Winnie struggles with the changes in their friendship, and in the process learns about herself and others. The year is full of ups and downs, and Winnie reflects on them with honesty and enthusiasm.

I listened to the audiobook version, and I was immediately transported back in time when I was eleven years old. NOT that I want to return to that particular period of my life, but I was amazed how the writing was so true to the pre-teen experience. There are embarrassing moments, feelings of insecurity, and not knowing where you truly fit it. I felt the exact same things Winnie did, and it connected me in a such a positive and powerful way to this book. I highly recommend this book to young girls. I think they will feel an immediate kinship to Winnie, just like I did. I can't wait to read the next two books, Twelve and Thirteen, which continue Winnie's journey through the tween years.

No comments: