Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Preschool Storytime: Hugs and Kisses

Valentine's Day is tomorrow, so in the spirit of the holiday, this week's storytime theme was Hugs and Kisses.  There are a lot of adorable picture books on this topic, and it was hard to choose which stories to share with my storytime group.  Here is what I did:

Book:  Hugs From Pearl by Paul Schmid
This is an adorable book about a kind porcupine named Pearl who loves to hug.  But, her quills get in the way and it makes her sad that her friends say "OUCH!" when she hugs them.  She comes up with a way to give ouchless hugs.  The kids really enjoyed this sweet story.

Flannel Rhyme:  Five Pretty Valentines
Five pretty valentines with lace galore,
I gave one to my mom, and then there were four.
Four pretty valentines so lovely to see,
I gave one to my dad, and then there were three.
Three pretty valentines made with paste and glue,
I gave one to my sister, and then there were two.
Two pretty valentines having so much fun,
I gave one to my brother, and then there was one.
One little valentine waiting for a special someone,
I gave it to my puppy, and then there were none.
(Source: King County Library System)

Book:  The Biggest Kiss by Joanna Walsh; illustrated by Judi Abbot
This book celebrates all kinds of kisses.  The kids enjoyed shouting out the different animals, and we made animal sounds.  Making a kissy fish face was my favorite!

Action Rhyme:  I Can Hug
I can hug, hug, hug.
I can hop, hop, hop.
I can kiss, kiss, kiss.
I can stop, stop, stop.
I can nod my head for yes,
And I can shake my head no,
And I can sit down very slow.
(Source:  SurLaLune Storytime)

Book:  How to Hug by Maryann Macdonald
Another cute animal book featuring hugs!  This book demonstrates different types of hugging, as well as times when it's not okay to hug and that it's okay to say no to a hug.

Fingerplay:  Make a Heart
I put my hands together, this is how I start;
I curve my fingers right around, and I can make a heart!
(Source:  Everything Preschool)

Book:  A Kiss Like This by Mary Murphy
It seems all my books this week featured animals, and this is no exception.  Different types of animal kisses are described, with lifting flaps, which the kids were super eager for me to open.  A great pick for Valentine's Day!

Craft:  Heart Greeting Card
This is an easy craft to make with your kids.  You can cut them out yourself, or use the downloadable template.  Then, decorate however you'd like!
(Source:  First Palette)


No comments: