Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Jane


By April Lindner. New York: Poppy, 2010.

What if Jane Erye fell in love with a rock star? That's the premise for this novel's retelling of the classic Jane Erye. Jane Moore is desperate for a job. After the sudden death of her parents, she is forced to drop out of college because she can't afford to pay her tuition. She takes a job as a nanny at Thornfield Park, the home of rock star Nico Rathburn. There, she finds herself drawn to Nico, and ends up falling in love with him. But, there is a mystery at Thornfield, and a secret from Nico's past truly tests their love.

To be honest, I am on the fence about this book. If you are a fan of the original Jane Erye, I don't think you're going to like it. My biggest pet peeve with this book is its unoriginality. It followed the original story too closely, and I got bored with the retelling. To me, this is the biggest flaw of the novel. Don't get me wrong, it's still readable. After all, I flew through this book in a day, and it's good for an afternoon on the couch with a cup of tea. And I would recommend it to teens looking for a love story. But, if you're expecting something completely different, brace yourself for disappointment.

No comments: