Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Season


By Sarah MacLean. New York: Orchard Books, 2009.

Anyone who knows me will tell you that I'm a sucker for anything that's a period piece. I'm a huge fan of Masterpiece Theater, especially when they are doing a Jane Austen adaptation (but I don't discriminate, I'll watch anything that show produces). The Regency period is one of the favorite settings for a story or a movie. It probably has a little something to do with the costumes, manners, and way of speech. Everything seems so elegant, and the men are more brooding and dashing than any other time period. Like I said, I love me a period piece movie. Imagine my delight when I saw this book at the library. I snatched it up quick as can be, and then hunkered down on my couch ready to be transported back in time. As with all my favorite BBC dramas, this book did not disappoint!

The story centers on seventeen year old Lady Alexandra Stafford. Much to her mother's delight and Alex's dismay, it's time for her to be unveiled to society during her "season" - in the hopes of catching a respectable marriage. But Alex, along with her two best friends Ella and Vivi, would rather spend time reading and pursuing other intellectual avenues than endless dress fittings, dances and parties. Enter her childhood friend (and extremely good looking), Gavin, the newly minted Earl of Blackmoor. His father recently died from an accident, but Gavin has his doubts. As the season progresses, Alex begins to see Gavin in a new light (when DID he become so dashing?) and discovers some startling information that may help him uncover the mystery of his father's death. But she'll need the help of Ella and Vivi to get out of this scrape. And along the way, will she finally succumb to love?

I loved the character of Alex! She is head-strong, intellectual, and not afraid to speak her mind. Her quibs with her older brothers and Gavin are quite funny and offer the book light-heartedness and make for a fun read. Her friendship with Ella and Vivi reminds me of my own dear friendships, and I immediately connected with them. You will swoon over Gavin and cheer the ladies on as the season progresses. Anyone who enjoys Regency romance sprinkled with a little mystery and adventure will love this book!

No comments: